Saturday, March 23, 2013

50plus Expo 2013 : Live Well, Celebrate Life - PhotoHunt

P1300263
Learning to draw caricature 

PhotoHunt theme :  What makes you happy/ Flow

On Friday, I spent an enjoyable and fulfilling day bringing several elderly friends to 50plus Expo which is the largest and most comprehensive event for baby boomers and seniors in Singapore.

Those above the age of 45 can look forward to live well and celebrate life as this exhibition promotes active living, with its focus on lifelong learning and leading a socially active lifestyle to remain connected to society.

P1300262
Learning how to make ice-cream

Centering on three focus area - Learn, Connect, Engage - visitors can check for the latest travel packages, products and services catering to the silver market, educational forum talks on topics close to their heart, entertaining stage programmes and activities, lucky draws and more!

We registered and were eligible for a Bonus Lucky Draw. We each received a goodie bag too. :)

My group learnt how to make healthy ice-cream, draw funny faces and even tried doing the Zumba. It was very fun and all these activities are free.

We befriended many active seniors who are volunteers in many non-profit organisations. I am awed by the boundless energy of these elderly volunteers, some of them are well above 60 years old. They have been up since early morning but they did not look tired, instead their faces were radiating with happiness.

P1300261

A group of elderly volunteers performed a skit. My friends enjoyed it very much and laughed heartily at the funny lines spoken in dialects that are familiar to them.

We all took a simple bone density test. I was dismayed that I am in the high-risk group. The nurse advised me to drink 2 glasses of milk and exercise daily.

P1300256
Packed, we could only watch through the glass panels  -_-

There is a series of educational and informative forum talks on topics an active ager cares most about. The first 70 persons attending per session will receive a goodie bag. As there are limited seats per session, available on a first-come-first-served basis, we did not manage to attend any. -_-

The exhibition hall was packed with visitors. There was a constant flow of participants in every course and talk. Expect more visitors during the weekend, do go early to reserve a seat for your preferred activity.

50plus Expo 2013
Singapore Expo Hall 6
22 to 24 March 2013 (Friday to Sunday), 11am to 9pm daily





25 comments:

  1. helping others esp the elderly makes me happy too. it's the happiness that flows from me to all the people around me. it's the gift that keeps on giving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like.
      They remind me of my grandmothers and elderly parents. Glad that they have chosen to lead an active and contented life.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fun and great learning experience :) I take vitamin D for keeping bones strong. We don't have so much sunlight in Canada and being out in the sun unprotected is no good either. Thanks for the kind compliment on my picture :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, we picked up quite a lot of tips at this exhibition.

      I think I need to consult a doctor for my condition. Not a good thing to have brittle bones.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a wonderful event. Great take on the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's interesting and informative for the elderly..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The elderly needs to lead a socially active lifestyle to remain connected to society.

      Delete
  5. I guess I'm betraying my age but 51 or even 45 is considered elderly??? Thought that's just middle-aged!!! :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I consider 60 years and below as just middle-age. I am in this category. :D

      There were many middle-aged visitors like myself who were there to learn and plan for their silver years.

      My 3 elderly friends are in their late 60s and we befriended many others who are above 60 years of age too.

      Delete
  6. Hi ECL, what a fun and informative event. I agree that living an active, engaged and healthy lifestyle can make us all happier. Thanks so much for sharing your photos.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish more people will live an active, engaged and healthy lifestyle. :)

      Delete
  7. I appreciate volunteers, I have been one , and feel happy when some are awful ones like sorting rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read on your blog that you are an active volunteer. You are caring enough to contribute to the community.

      Delete
  8. What a good idea to organize such an exposition !
    Mr. G volunteers twice a week for the city, to teach how to handle and work with a computer for all age groups. The oldest person was 91 !! and learned quicker then lots of other much younger !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr G rocks! Thumbs up for him for his kind act. And applauses for all his students. :)

      Delete
  9. This Expo is a wonderful idea and looks to be well attended and informative. Where we live, there are walking trails and a group of us walk daily - good for building bone!


    ....Nina

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful pics for the theme

    http://tc-twistedfairytale.blogspot.ca/2013/03/saturday-photohunt-flow-and-what-makes.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Watching active seniors is very inspiring. I hope I will have that much energy when I get to my 60's. Good event to learn new skills and meet new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am loving the easy flow of this weekend ~
    Happy hunting y'all.
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping in. Hubby and I just join AARP for senior anyhow I don't feel old.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a great fair, with lots of good info. I do hope that when you say 'elderly' friends you aren't talking about the 50 year olds. I'm 72 and I still don't consider myself elderly.

    ReplyDelete