Saturday, February 01, 2014

Old Bridges in Singapore - PhotoHunt

P1330789
Anderson Bridge

PhotoHunt theme : Ways/Bridges

While looking through my photos for this week's Photohunt theme, I realised I have only 2 photos of the numerous bridges in Singapore. Fortunately a girlfriend knows a few iconic ones and drove me around in the middle of the night to snap these photos. :P    

The first steel bridge in Singapore, Anderson Bridge was built in 1910. Named after Sir John Anderson who was the Governor of the Straits Settlements and High Commissioner for the Federated Malay States from 1904 to1911.

P1330798

A check with my granduncle unveils a gory past. During the Japanese Occupation (1942 to 1945) of Singapore, the severed heads of criminals were hung on Anderson Bridge as a warning to discourage citizens from breaking the law.

*shudders* Luckily I didn't have any spooky encounters that night.

P1330792

P1330796
Cavenagh Bridge

Cavenagh Bridge, named after the last India-appointed governor of the Straits Settlement, Major-General Sir William Orfeur Cavenagh, was built in 1869. It is located near the Fullerton Hotel.

P1330805
Read Bridge

Built in 1931, Read Bridge was a popular spot for labourers and boatmen who would gather to listen to Teochew storytellers in the evenings.

P1330806

It was a public holiday, there were lots of people on Read Bridge when I stopped by to take a couple of shots. I have no way of finding out what those people were looking at as my girlfriend was waiting for me by the roadside. We were on our way home as soon as I have the required shots. :D


25 comments:

  1. The things one does to get photos for the Photo Hunt meme...

    Happy Chinese New Year of the Horse to you, more than BTW! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha..... yes. My girlfriend doesn't understand what's the fuss but she is very kind to help me out. :)

      Delete
  2. Wah, updating blog on CNY? haha very hardworking leh :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too funny about driving around in the night to get photos. :) Thank God for good friends! Nice collection of photos too, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank God for good friends. And it was the first night of our Chinese New Year.

      Delete
  4. oh, this is a nice post telling the history of bridges in Singapore.. guess the theme this time makes you know more about the bridges huh?? good.. :)

    wishing you and your family a happy and prosperous chinese new year, with lots of health and wealth too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are just a few of the many fascinating bridges we have in Singapore. It's true I know nothing about them before this post. :P It became more interesting after my granduncle told me the stories behind some of the bridges.

      Delete
  5. That's a good bridge. There are also similar bridges in Tokyo bay. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember Cavenagh Bridge and how impressed I was of its beauty.

    http://kilelong.blogspot.com/2014/01/photo-hunt-252-waysbridges.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your nightly excursion gave beautiful results ! Fortunately the heads are not there anymore, must have been horrible !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting history connected to the bridges :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are nice shots. Mine never turn up well in the dark. :(
    I posted some bridges in Singapore too.
    Thanks for the info. Now I will forever remember those heads hanging on the Anderson Bridge..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Singapore looks beautiful!! Great photos of the bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anderson Bridge does have a gruesome history... I'd like to have a spooky encounter, but I'm happy for you that you did not. Creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. another interesting bridge with its own story...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi ECL, wonderful photo collection and it's cool that they were all shot at night. I think seeing a severed head would scare me off to. Yikes. Btw, you have a very good friend to drive you around at night for you photohunt theme.

    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What?! You drove around in the middle of the night to snap pictures of bridges? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gong Xi Fatt Chai.

    Lovely shots. Hmm...you have good photo skil. Capture night scene well

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Valentine's Day to u too! I was sick that week so no major celebration he he! :)

    ReplyDelete