Friday, November 03, 2006

Swearing-in Ceremony at Parliament House

I walked over to Parliament House at 4pm to witness the swearing-in ceremony of the 24 PAP newcomers and their senior colleagues.

It was my first visit to Parliament. I had to go through several security checks and was only allowed to bring my purse to the public gallery. While I was registering myself, lawyer M. Ravi came in, creating a slight commotion. He didn't get to register because he didn't have his NRIC with him. There was a tourist from India who brought only his photocopied passport, he was also denied entry.

I took a lift to the 3rd floor where there was another security barrier. When I was led into the gallery, I had to bow to the Speaker before I took my seat.

The Parliament House had undergone a recent refurbishment, and there was a newly-installed glass security barriers. In the gallery were the families of the MPs, members of the establishment and the public.

Mr Abdullah Tarmugi was re-elected as Speaker of the House. The MPs took their oaths of allegiance in 12 batches. It was a solemn ceremony.

I sat facing the Cabinet Ministers. All the men were dressed in dark suits & some of the ladies in cheongsums. Pasir Ris-Punggol MP Teo Ser Luck looked so dashing in his dark suit. Marine Parade GRC MP Lim Biow Chuan was in crutches as he had a fall & fractured his meta tarsals. Poor Mr Lim.

The ceremony was over within an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment