Friday, November 22, 2013

Thai Street Food - Coconut Ice-cream - PhotoHunt

P1330254
fresh fruits over yummy coconut ice-cream

PhotoHunt theme : Over/Something Rusty

Shopping at the Chatuchak weekend market in Bangkok can be very tiring. Plus the hot weather in Bangkok, it was a welcome treat when I chanced upon a rustic cafe selling ice cold coconut ice-cream.

Their rich, creamy coconut ice-cream cost 35 baht (S$1.40) with three selected toppings. From a wide selection of toppings, I chose fresh longans, jackfruit and basil seeds. The coconut ice-cream was not too sweet and it is really delicious.

P1330252
choose from a selection of toppings

Being served ice cream in a coconut was really novel for me. I got to eat the tender coconut meat, 3 scoops of coconut ice-cream with toppings of my choice and a complimentary cup of pure coconut juice.

P1330257

Besides the usual beverages, the cafe also serves light meals such as sandwiches and traditional Thai snacks.

The place is really small, it only has 5 tables. Good thing we went before lunch so it wasn't super crowded. Love the friendly service.

P1330463

Plain water served in a rusty mug :)

As we walked around the massive Chatuchak market, we discovered that coconut ice-cream is sold in every nook and corner. There was one particularly famous stall that has long queues of customers. I didn't join in the queue as I wanted to try other street food. :)

30 comments:

  1. The ice cream is so cheap! we can get their coconut ice cream here in penang sometimes.... for Rm 4 to 5, a small one :x

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it is yummy, the price is fine. The coconut ice-cream I ate here in Singapore was not as tasty as the one I had in Bangkok and it cost S$3. -_-

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha... I posted a picture from Bangkok too. I tried it in the same market and again and again... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing that photo means my holiday in Bangkok is over! :(

      There are so many coconut ice-cream stalls in Chatuchak weekend market. lol

      Delete
  4. this looks so delicious!
    i love coconut ice cream.

    wishing you a great weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, Chatuchak market is so hot and stuffy! But lots to shop there~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so crowded and the market is huge. Couldn't finish exploring it :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my sounds yummy and refreshing on a hot day!

    My photo hunt entry for this week

    Happy weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that sounds interesting! i like that mug and its reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of coconut ice cream; Anyway I don't like the taste of coconuts very much, and would have chosen another flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouh...I have never tried coconut ice cream before. :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it when it reminded you to brush your teeth, meaning that coconut ice cream will rot your teeth. :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice if that bowl is right in front of me right now, hehe....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm... so did you think it over the top to be served coconut ice cream in a coconut shell? Have to say that concoction looks super yummy. You've got me hankering for it!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was so many years ago that I was in Bangkok...but, there, I had the most wonderful fruit of my life, seldom found again - mangosteens. I even did a blog about it once.

    My post shows a white bird
    ( egret ? } framed by some glasseless windows!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy! Makes me feel like going back to Bangkok!

    ReplyDelete
  15. But I am not so interested to go to Chatuchak as it's hot and congested. Maybe they sell these coconut ice cream elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  16. That does look like the most interesting dessert! ~pass the bowl, it looks like a treat I would be all over ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's cool!
    And now I'm craving for some fruits...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look so yummy. The price is cheap. I envy you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Je ne connais pas toutes ces bonnes choses mais je les goûterai volontiers.
    Amicalement.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  20. i like coconut ice cream, maybe this idea can bring back to Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds great!!! What an upbeat, fun post. I do love ice cream.

    ReplyDelete